Monday 6 June 2011

Once Upon a Time...

Years ago my Dad and I went to Vancouver for a conference.  After dinner we decided that the slightly rainy Vancouver weather was perfect for a walk back to the UBC campus.  On the way back I saw a beautiful quilt hanging in a store window.  The store was closed and my Dad promised to take me back the next day.  True to his word we returned to the store the next day only to discover that the quilt was not for sale! As is turns out the store sold fabric and the quilt was only on display.  Disheartened, we left the store :(

I couldn't stop thinking about the quilt so I returned to the store and asked the lady how difficult it would be for me to make the quilt (seeing as I had never sewn anything before!).  She showed me the pattern and I figured sheer stubbornness would help me triumph in this beginners quilting task.

And in true fairy tale fashion the quilt and I have lived happily ever after! I always keep it hanging proudly to remind myself of how far I have come and how my unwillingness to leave this quilt behind started a passion in me that I didn't even know I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment